Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Started boxing training again...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Started boxing training again...

Hey guys,

I got back into the boxing gym. Been away for over 10 years now. Last time I even sparred I was in the UK in Uni and I graduated in 2008. But today was my second day back and we did body-work drills in the ring. Ring rust is evident, but it was not full contact sparring yet. Was only about 30 percent of punch power in the body work drills, but I didn't get tired. I have a GREAT engine still for 45 years old... putting the younger men to shame. But, it is apparent my footwork is off and my left hook to the body is shitty. I used to be really nifty with that. But, fell in love with my jab to the body now. I want to perfect that Inoue ko of Fulton move... you know? The same one AJ put on Helenius, the jab to the body and then right back to the head. Inoue did it better because he didn't have to reset.. just jab to the body and upstairs in one motion. I feel it.... I really do.

I wish I used to get up every morning as I do now at 4am to do 3-4 miles when I was in my 20s. My prime years would have been so much more fun and easier if I did what coach told me to do years ago and that was do your road work. You can do amazing things when you do your road work.

Only thing now is the calisthenics were BRUTAL... I go to the gym after my roadwork in the morning and lift weights for about an hour, but NOTHING kicks your ass like boxing calisthenics. And we did them after we had about 8 rounds of body work drills, four rounds of heavy bag and three rounds of shadow boxing. Not to mention skipping.

But, I'm glad I'm scratching my itch for fighting. I could not die without going back at it even if only for gym wars and helping the younger fellahs prepare for their fights. Apparently we go full sparring tomorrow... I will be there.
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 07-18-2024 at 01:48 AM.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Started boxing training again...

Good on you bud way to shake off the idle time and collected dust. We can't do much about the aging process but staying fluid and mobile goes a long way to mental and physical health. Hey and you'd rather be punching bags and mitts than drywall and complete strangers. Always good to get back to a solid routine and a good set on a heavy bag is a great work out. You really grow to appreciate the entire process, timing and it exercises muscles you didn't even know...or forgot...you even had .

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good on you bud way to shake off the idle time and collected dust. We can't do much about the aging process but staying fluid and mobile goes a long way to mental and physical health. Hey and you'd rather be punching bags and mitts than drywall and complete strangers. Always good to get back to a solid routine and a good set on a heavy bag is a great work out. You really grow to appreciate the entire process, timing and it exercises muscles you didn't even know...or forgot...you even had .
    Yes. Went for my first spar today. First two rounds was awful, but by the third round I started to connect a little more. Can't wait until I see the improvement.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got my jab working again. Guys can't get out of the way of it. No matter how they swivel their head and duck, I can always time them and pop them right in the face/nose at will. That jab is still there like it never left.

I HAVE to work on my 1-2/left-right punch set up. I got it off a few times this past Thursday, but it could be a little more crisper... My left hook is SHIT. Utter SHIT. People can see that weak shit from a mile away. I hate it and want to stop throwing it alltogether, but I used to be soo good with that.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Build on your strength and focus on the good things that you do such as your jab.

Develop your left hook in your own good time and don't worry about how good it was in the past. I would pretend I am a fighter with a great left hook Roy Jones, Mike Tyson or Joe Frazier and perfect it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Build on your strength and focus on the good things that you do such as your jab.

Develop your left hook in your own good time and don't worry about how good it was in the past. I would pretend I am a fighter with a great left hook Roy Jones, Mike Tyson or Joe Frazier and perfect it.
    lol. Yea. Wanna hear something that's weird? I can throw a triple left hook in close quarters or in a loose clench, but can't throw it from the outside anymore. I guess it will take time.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

lol. Yea. Wanna hear something that's weird? I can throw a triple left hook in close quarters or in a loose clench, but can't throw it from the outside anymore. I guess it will take time.
    Triple hooks takes talent! You nearly there getting it right.

Enjoy it and make it fun. That is what counts.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Triple hooks takes talent! You nearly there getting it right.

Enjoy it and make it fun. That is what counts.
    Yea... It was always natural for me. But what I missed in my younger life was a male/father figure who understood what he had and how to build the confidence in me with that. I could have been a champ.

Now I know what to do with my son. You have to treat him like Cus D'Matto treated Tyson in the early onset. Build his mental confidence and his physical. Be there for him and the like...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all could have been contenders, could have been somebodies instead of bums which we are......

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all could have been contenders, could have been somebodies instead of bums which we are......
    God shifts our direction for his will and purpose. lol...

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been sparring more, but it was clearly my mind telling me that I could do this shit again like I was 20 years old again. lolol... While I am slowly getting some form back, I am nowhere near in any fighting shape with someone who has been doing this consistently over the last 12 months even. Why did my mind believe I still had it? lololol......

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been there.

Mind making promises that the body cant deliver.

Thread Information