Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default throwing the jab

anyone throw a jab and come up on the ball of the front foot like you would when throwing a hook? just curious...i find myself doing this from time to time and it helps put a body pivot into the punch and seems to extend reach a bit...any comments from the trainers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: throwing the jab

Yeah, i did the same exact thing you were doing. While i shadowboxed i would jab, i would step and turn my hips and pivot my foot. I felt that it gave me a little more reach and snap. But when i was hitting the pads my trainer told me to step straight in, with the toe forward, instead of turning my foot like i was hooking. I could see his point though, it felt like although i was getting more reach, i was sacrificing balance and power in my jabs. So now im working to correct this habit and step with my toes forward when i jab.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the distance from the head to the back foot alters in the procees off throwing the jab its wrong
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are messed up in a couple places here, my friend. You never come up on your front foot when jabbing. Can't move, can't punch from there. Also, you don't hook off the ball of your front foot. The weight should be on your back foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

actually joe i meant that i lean back on my right for a hook and kinda twist that front foot and come up on the ball...as for the jab, i am trying to pivot my body forward an behind the punch more intead of using arm speed and strenght to throw it...just seems to help snap it out and back a bit faster...also this isn't a real big movement, it is more i guess of a rotation of the lead foot inward pivoting on the ball of the foot...hope this clears it up...and yes if you still say no Joe i will break this habit...been a long time since we talked glad to hear you are ok...

Thread Information