Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  332
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071
Results 1,051 to 1,056 of 1056

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

I do not like Bellew but when I saw the short promotional montage of Tony fighting for this world title fight at his beloved Football team I had to support him.

Tony Bellew won the vacant WBC world cruiserweight title on this day in 2016 with a third-round knockout of Ilunga Makabu at Goodison Park.

The Liverpudlian, then 33, recovered after being knocked down in the opening round to seal a world title at the third attempt after previous bids against Nathan Cleverly and Adonis Stevenson had ended in defeat.

Bellew, a staunch Everton fan, got the chance to fight for the belt after reigning champion Grigory Drozd vacated it due to injury.

It looked like Congolese Makabu was set to stun a partisan crowd after sending the home favourite to the canvas with just 10 seconds remaining in the first round.

But Bellew regained his composure in the second despite a broken nose and delivered a barrage of left hooks in the third that floored Makabu, with the referee intervening.
    It was a glorious moment for Bellew, who said later: “He broke my nose with that left hand. I’m talking through my nose now and it’s smashed to bits.

“But I have a green and gold belt. If you had to take my nose off my face for that belt I’d take it.”

A crowd of around 15,000 cheered their local hero to victory in the first ever boxing show at Goodison.

Bellew successfully defended his title the following October by knocking out American BJ Flores in three rounds before stepping up to heavyweight to settle his rivalry with David Haye.

Haye was stopped by Bellew in both encounters at the O2 Arena in London, the first in the 11th round in 2017 and then in the fifth in the rematch in 2018.

Bellew returned to cruiserweight to take on former undisputed champion Oleksandr Usyk in November 2018, but was knocked out in the eighth round and announced his retirement in the ring after his third professional defeat.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...c403877&ei=184
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An all-time favorite. Always interesting how Benn came to the States for his career rebuild after the Watson loss. Back when US network exposure was a thing.

Mentioned
    1686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn improved as a boxer coming to USA. Had some exciting contests with some champions Dewitt and Iran Barkley.

Benn went back to UK and fought a brutal war against Eubank and the rest is history.

Nigel never lost to a US fighter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that fight is an argument against the three knockdown rule
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    that fight is an argument against the three knockdown rule
    Was the oddest thing as ref Padilla seemed lost at the end looking to time keeper. On all three knockdowns his count was tame and not assertive.Either way I think Barkley had his fill that day. Great memories with this one. Fights are funny like that. Specific ones you recall the who what when and where precisely, your point in life etc.

Thread Information