Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Donald Curry Have Best Amateur Record ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Does Donald Curry Have Best Amateur Record ??

400-4 His record was thats amazing even better than Harry Simon thats best amateur record i've ever seen does anyone else know of a better one ?? i know Robinson had 80+ amateur fights and never lost one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Donald Curry Have Best Amateur Record ??

Wow, thats immpressive. Mark Brelands record didnt even look like that. I guess it depends though on what tournaments he fought in and who he fought. But either way one hell of a record.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is their a website that's a good source for amateur records?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought that I'd heard somewhere that Joe Calzaghe had a perfect record as an amateur. If this is true, it's real hard to be better than perfect.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    I thought that I'd heard somewhere that Joe Calzaghe had a perfect record as an amateur. If this is true, it's real hard to be better than perfect.
    He had 9 losses as amateur i believe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

400-4 for Curry as an amateur! Impressive, as it is a lot harder to win these fights than most people think,
    limited time and nearly always goes to decision, judging is dubious sometimes as well, just ask Roy Jones Jr. I thought Calzaghe had well over 100 amateur fights but he did lose some of them.
    Tszyu was 259-11 which is amazing but 400-4 has to be close to a record for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Are you positive?? (I'm not, at all)

I thought I heard on an HBO telecast (vs. Bika, I believe) that Calzaghe had been perfect dating back to the beginning of his amateur career, but I could be wrong.

ICB Guest

I thought I heard on an HBO telecast (vs. Bika, I believe) that Calzaghe had been perfect dating back to the beginning of his amateur career, but I could be wrong.

Im not postive that he had 9 losses but i know he definately lost a few i remember this kid he fought turns out the kids dad was the ref or something and bit of shady stuff went down and Calzaghe lost controversial decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone keep accurate records for amateur fights? I mean is 400-4 accurate?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Swice
    Donald Curry (born September 7, 1961) is a retired Fort Worth fighter, called the 'Lone Star Cobra'.

Curry, who had an amateur record of 400-4, made the 1980 United States Olympic team, but could not compete due to the U.S. boycott. He then started his pro career and rose to superstardom rather quickly, putting together an undefeated streak that culminated in a 15-round points win over Jun-Suk Hwang of South Korea in 1983, giving Curry the then-vacant WBA welterweight title. He then defended this belt mostly by KO or TKO, against the likes of Nino LaRocca, Elio Diaz, Roger Stafford (whom he beat within a round), and Colin Jones. Also included in this stretch was a 1984 points win over the future world champion Marlon Starling to claim the division's new IBF title, while retaining the WBA title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Curry

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Swice
    Donald Curry (born September 7, 1961) is a retired Fort Worth fighter, called the 'Lone Star Cobra'.

Curry, who had an amateur record of 400-4, made the 1980 United States Olympic team, but could not compete due to the U.S. boycott. He then started his pro career and rose to superstardom rather quickly, putting together an undefeated streak that culminated in a 15-round points win over Jun-Suk Hwang of South Korea in 1983, giving Curry the then-vacant WBA welterweight title. He then defended this belt mostly by KO or TKO, against the likes of Nino LaRocca, Elio Diaz, Roger Stafford (whom he beat within a round), and Colin Jones. Also included in this stretch was a 1984 points win over the future world champion Marlon Starling to claim the division's new IBF title, while retaining the WBA title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Curry
    I don't know if the record is true.
    But I do know that anyone can type up a wikipedia article so sometimes everything you read there isn't necessairly 100% true/accurate.
    According to different sources Tommy Morrison's amat. record stands at 222-20.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not postive that he had 9 losses but i know he definately lost a few i remember this kid he fought turns out the kids dad was the ref or something and bit of shady stuff went down and Calzaghe lost controversial decision.
    I think JC was about 130-3 or something like that - hasn't lost since he was 16

At the end of the day in amateur boxing, where it it 3 or 4 rounds, to have a massive winning record is majorily impressive.

Petty The Cobra was never the same after The Ragamuffin man
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amateur is corrupt though especially back then. A lot of times even now I see them given points despite the fact the guy is slipping punches especially in local fights. Also if he never competed in the Olympics and who knows how many international competitions he competed in. These are the places most of the best guys get their loses. Also in nationals, but who was around then.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Amateur is corrupt though especially back then. A lot of times even now I see them given points despite the fact the guy is slipping punches especially in local fights. Also if he never competed in the Olympics and who knows how many international competitions he competed in. These are the places most of the best guys get their loses. Also in nationals, but who was around then.
    Totally agree i see Mayweather land multiple body shots in semi final of olympics yet judges wern't scoring it Mayweather was screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amateur boxers have passbooks books that each fight is recorded in. Fights in national tournaments are better documented, but club fight arent kept track of aside from the passbook. I lost my USA pasbook a couple years ago after about 15 fights and the form that i had to fill out to get a new book asked to list my record. I could easily have put 15-0 and it would have went, course I put my real record. My point is theres eally no way of knowing for sure.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Thread Information