Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the future hold for Arthur Abraham?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What does the future hold for Arthur Abraham?

Ever since watching Abraham I have always thought that he really was going to be a strong force in the middleweight devision. He's shown in his performances great power, and in many cases one hit knockout power with a decent workrate. Although hes usually a slower starter I feel he likes to get to know his opponanent and through that he has a very dominating high guard which is difficult to land anything on. We have seen in that gruelling Edision Miranda fight that he has the heart of a champion and although the fight might have been contraversial he cleared it up with a dominant 4th round knockout over Miranda again. The fight which appealed to me was the Khoren Gevor one, where although in control of the fight he pulled a big knockout in the later stages of the fight and showed that against any top ranked 160 fighter hes a great threat.

His next fight sees him against Mahir Oral, and this is his 10th defence of his IBF belt he won back in 2005. I think this is a fairly routine defence for Abraham and he will get through it without any trouble. The thing that annoys me is that the man should be cleaning up the weight class now, hes a big strong middleweight and he looks like his best years are right now IMO. I think he has what it takes to beat Kelly Pavlik and Felix Sturm so why doesnt any of these fights happen ? He's 29 and he looks like he can even be a force at 168 IMO. I think after this defence he needs to start unifying the weightclass and showing the US that he is the real deal at 160, better than Pavlik IMO and I think he would beat him by UD.

I hope for me being a fan of Abraham he doesnt get into more of a routine of staying in Germany taking on 2nd rate challengers, because I know hes a lot better than that. I look forward to watching what he has to bring to the weight class, I think hes a real challenge to any fighter at 160-168 and I can see him being the man to beat if he gets a fight with Kelly Pavlik and beats him.

Lets hear some views

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What does the future hold for Arthur Abraham?

I think his career at middleweight isn't going to last much longer, I'm sure he really struggled to make 160 in his last fight against Simon.

I expect him to move up to 168 sometime this year or possibly next year.

I hope a fight with Pavlik happens sometime this year, It's a must happen fight at middleweight and it is a 50-50 fight imo.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abraham has great power, I think he will have problems against a volume puncher (like say Williams) because he likes to hang out in his shell. He has good wins over Miranda and Gevor. I really want to see him mix it up with Pavlik, Sturm (never happen) or Williams. I don't know if he can keep making weight though.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Him and Pavlik are struggling to make 160 now. They'll fight late this year or early next year for their middleweight belts then both move up.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Him and Pavlik are struggling to make 160 now. They'll fight late this year or early next year for their middleweight belts then both move up.
    I doubt it. Honestly, I'm doubting Pavlik's team have the balls to put him in there with Abraham after what happened with Hopkins. This fight should have happened already, enough with the terrible defences.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I doubt it. Honestly, I'm doubting Pavlik's team have the balls to put him in there with Abraham after what happened with Hopkins. This fight should have happened already, enough with the terrible defences.
    It's easily the biggest money fight for him at 160 so he'll take the risk. If he loses he's moving up to 168 anyway, he can blame it on being tight at the weight, the potential of a big money 168 rematch if the first fight was good, etc. So I'm pretty sure he'll take it.

Arum is just bringing him and Cotto back slowly after their first losses. No massive fights for a while, just ease them back into winning ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its hard to tell. Once we actually see arthur come away from his safetyzone of germany and fight a genuine contender its gonna be hard to actually know how good abraham is.

Ive got this inkling that a pavlik/williams even wright would be too big a step for him but its hard to tell
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abrahams camp negotiated with Sturms and Pavliks team,but both declined so far...at least that what I read...I think money and renownedness are the reasons that Abraham has trouble getting a big name-fight in the US...In Germany the only big fight still to happen for AA is against Sturm,but apperantly Sturm is scared off AA or his camp doesn't want to risk a loss...I don't know...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. Lujuan Simon, Mahir Oral...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's easily the biggest money fight for him at 160 so he'll take the risk. If he loses he's moving up to 168 anyway, he can blame it on being tight at the weight, the potential of a big money 168 rematch if the first fight was good, etc. So I'm pretty sure he'll take it.

Arum is just bringing him and Cotto back slowly after their first losses. No massive fights for a while, just ease them back into winning ways.
    There has been talk of Pavlik v. Sturm - Vindy.com Local News Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana Ohio - news, sports and information - Pavlik may fight Sturm

Pavlik v. Abraham would be a great middleweight fight. Possibly the best since when? But, Pavlik v. Sturm wouldn't be too bad either.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    its hard to tell. Once we actually see arthur come away from his safetyzone of germany and fight a genuine contender its gonna be hard to actually know how good abraham is.

Ive got this inkling that a pavlik/williams even wright would be too big a step for him but its hard to tell
    I think Abraham would KO Pavlik. His defence is too tight and Kelly is too one dimensional. Kelly will probably start better before Abraham takes over and KO's him around the 8th. I think Williams would totally outbox Pavlik as well. Pavlik has a better chance with Wright and Sturm. Wright, simply because of age and inactivity, and Sturm, because I think Kelly could wear him down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was hoping to see more of Abraham on American TV after he knocked out Miranda, he should have gotten a Showtime contract after that fight
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

El Kabong Guest

It would be nice if Arthur didn't follow the career paths of Svenn Ottke and Daruisz Michalczewski....he needs big time fights and ON TV in America.

He had the perfect chance to be well loved after the Miranda fight, he could have fought Jermain Taylor in America and more than likely beat him (considering he lasted out vs Miranda with a broken jaw and in the championship rounds JT is gased out)...but he has been seemingly in hiding since those big wins over Edison Miranda

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

I think Abraham would KO Pavlik. His defence is too tight and Kelly is too one dimensional. Kelly will probably start better before Abraham takes over and KO's him around the 8th. I think Williams would totally outbox Pavlik as well. Pavlik has a better chance with Wright and Sturm. Wright, simply because of age and inactivity, and Sturm, because I think Kelly could wear him down.
    When did the thread become about trashing Pavlik?

That Abraham's defense is too tight for Kelly is a respectable position. No doubt that AA has great defense and if he fought Pavlik and won, it would likely be because of his defensive prowess.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the defense comes the tendency for AA to take time off in rounds. Not that the punches thrown at him during such lulls always land, but they add up. Against a volume puncher, like Pavlik to an extent, that could be a problem. Moreover, Pavlik has thudding power (86.11%). A lot of power and a lot of punches may spell trouble for AA.

Pavlik also has a considerable height/reach advantage over AA: 6'2 1/2 versus 5'10 and 75" reach versus 72". Pavlik fights tall too. Lastly, from all reports, AA didn't look good in his last fight. Of course we'll get another look at him against another safe opponent in Mahir Oral (who?). Hopefully, he looks better in that fight.

Upon first glance, and we have at least six months to ponder the outcome, this fight may come down to how Pavlik handles AA's power. If he handles it, he should win on points because he throws too many punches.

That said, there aren't too many other options for AA other than Pavlik at 160. I'd like to see Mundine fight AA, but that isn't happening, and Sturm is afraid of him.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I was hoping to see more of Abraham on American TV after he knocked out Miranda, he should have gotten a Showtime contract after that fight
    He was supposed to be fighting Lorenzo in America (the possibility was explored of fighting on the Pavlik-Mora undercard but the idea was quickly cast aside). Since they couldn't come to terms, they decided to wait for it to go to purse bid and take a voluntary in Germany instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

When did the thread become about trashing Pavlik?

That Abraham's defense is too tight for Kelly is a respectable position. No doubt that AA has great defense and if he fought Pavlik and won, it would likely be because of his defensive prowess.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the defense comes the tendency for AA to take time off in rounds. Not that the punches thrown at him during such lulls always land, but they add up. Against a volume puncher, like Pavlik to an extent, that could be a problem. Moreover, Pavlik has thudding power (86.11%). A lot of power and a lot of punches may spell trouble for AA.

Pavlik also has a considerable height/reach advantage over AA: 6'2 1/2 versus 5'10 and 75" reach versus 72". Pavlik fights tall too. Lastly, from all reports, AA didn't look good in his last fight. Of course we'll get another look at him against another safe opponent in Mahir Oral (who?). Hopefully, he looks better in that fight.

Upon first glance, and we have at least six months to ponder the outcome, this fight may come down to how Pavlik handles AA's power. If he handles it, he should win on points because he throws too many punches.

That said, there aren't too many other options for AA other than Pavlik at 160. I'd like to see Mundine fight AA, but that isn't happening, and Sturm is afraid of him.
    I wasn't attempting to trash Pavlik, its just his mandatories have been against opposition not in his class, and I wasn't impressed with the idea of a defence against a power puff puncher like Mora. I used to believe Pavlik would beat Abraham, but as time has passed I've started to wonder if Pavlik was overrated and I think Abraham has too much for him. I think Arum is scared to put Kelly in with Arthur, he even tried to justify a John Duddy defence instead.

Thread Information